While travel is often better when shared with those we love, the extra steps leading up to departure can be a hassle if we don’t prepare for them. Nothing can sink a trip like having to squeeze people into a too-small room, missing out on a sold-out event or having to cancel entirely if your destination is fully booked. Perfect your next all-ages adventure with these tips.
1. Most importantly, try to begin planning with your advisor six to nine months in advance, especially if traveling with a large group. This will give your family more options, from types of accommodations to available dates.
2. Speaking of dates, try to have an alternative travel window if possible. Being locked into one time frame can severely limit your choices.
3. Think about how many beds and bedrooms your family will need. We always recommend a separate room for mom and dad, but whether children can share or need separate beds can make a difference when looking at suites and connecting rooms, and especially for villa rentals.
4. Consider whether you’ll want time to yourselves away from the kids. Many properties offer dedicated children’s services, including daycare and special activities tailored for teens and younger guests.
5. Beyond the number of children and their ages, let your agent know about special interests your children have and what type of activities they enjoy. From recommending on-property activities and area attractions to securing event tickets, museum entrance, transfers and more, your advisor can be a much-improved resource with the right information.
6. Make sure to allow extra time in your itinerary. As your group grows larger, wrangling everyone from one activity to another can become a little harder. Moods, interests and health are also more likely to change, so having extra time built in can keep stress levels down during the unexpected, or even just allow some free time for everyone to recharge. Plus, it’s great fun to be able to be a little spontaneous and make those extra-special memories with the family.
Feeling inspired? We can craft a custom itinerary just for you.Connect with a travel advisor